Americano is one of the most popular and easiest to make coffee drinks. Traditionally, the main ingredient of this beverage is espresso, so you don’t need to worry about frothing milk. To make americano at home, you need to use an espresso maker or some other techniques for brewing espresso, eliminating appliances that integrate a milk frothing unit.
This review from MilkFrotherTop will help you choose a good americano coffee maker. It describes the best coffee machines for americano, highlighting all possible pros and cons to satisfy even a fastidious customer.
Best Americano Coffee Makers
With any of the machines described here, you can get quality espresso with that distinct taste typical for americano. All these devices will allow you to brew full-flavored espresso and become a professional homemade americano maker.
De’Longhi ECP3420 Bar Pump Machine
This manual coffee maker from De’Longhi features an elegant silver/black design and a compact size. It has a back-loading water tank with a capacity to hold 37 oz. (1.1 L) of liquid. It is detachable for easy cleaning and comes with a transparent window on the front panel to control the water level.
The machine integrates a removable double-layer catch tray. Its upper layer can be detached to accommodate 5’’ tall mugs.
This model includes a 15-bar pressure pump and a stainless steel boiler. The users can brew single and double espresso shots or make 2 single drinks at a time due to a portafilter that comes with 2 filters. Another bonus of this appliance is a built-in frothing wand.
As a beginner-friendly model, the De’Longhi 3420 is simple to use. The machine is operated via a rotary dial that offers 4 options: On, Off, Brew, and Steam. Turn the knob to the corresponding image to choose either a brewing or frothing mode. The owners of this model can brew drinks using both E.S.E. pods and ground coffee.
- A rapid brewing system
- Multiple detachable parts for easy cleaning
- Has convenient storage for filters
- Offers a twin brewing cycle
- Hot water delivery for tea through a nozzle
- Manual assistance is required
- The cup warmer doesn’t heat cups properly
Ninja CE251 Programmable Brewer with 12-cup Glass Carafe
This model from Ninja comes in a black and stainless steel design and spots a sleek glass carafe. This is a drip coffee maker that is very functional and able to brew up to 12 cups of coffee at a time. In case you need to serve just 1-4 cups, there is a setting to make beverages for fewer people.
The device is programmable and allows the users to set the brewing time within 24 hours. Also, it features 2 brew strength settings (“Rich” and “Classic”).
The water reservoir is quite spacious and holds 60 oz. (1.8 L) of water. The tank is made of transparent plastic and has measurement markings to see the level of liquid.
The brewing process can be paused to let users enjoy the first coffee before the whole cycle is over. There is a warming plate to keep drinks warm for up to 4 hours. In addition, the unit has a self-cleaning function.
- Arrives with a permanent coffee filter
- Integrates the function of thermal flavor extraction for better coffee flavor
- Some parts are dishwasher-safe
- A detachable water tank
- Comes with a stow-away coffee scoop
- Has cord storage
- The beeping sounds that indicate that the brewing process is over are too loud
- The carafe is difficult to wash
Mr. Coffee Café Barista Americano Maker
This is a semi-automatic appliance from Mr. Coffee that features a modern design performed in black and silver. The model is quite compact and easily fits in a small kitchen. Though the housing of the machine is plastic, the parts involved in the brewing process are made of stainless steel.
The water tank is located on the backside and holds 54 oz. (1.6 L) of liquid. The reservoir for milk holds 16 oz. (475 ml) and can be removed to be stored in the fridge.
The machine integrates a milk frothing unit and is easy to operate. The user needs to load ground coffee into the portafilter and press the buttons on the control panel. You can select the size of the beverage and the amount of frothed milk. If there is no need for drink customization, the appliance operates in an automatic mode.
Most parts of the Mr. Coffee Café Barista can be detached for cleaning. It features the “Clean” button that launches an automatic cleaning procedure to unclog the nozzle of the frothing wand.
- The reservoirs for milk and water can be removed for cleaning or refilling
- Switches to the standby mode automatically if not in use
- There is an adjustable platform to accommodate small cups
- The buttons are illuminated
- Available in various colors
- The level of water is not visible and hard to control
- The milk frother works loudly
Gaggia Anima Prestige Automatic Coffee Machine
The Gaggia Anima Prestige is a super-automatic coffee maker that will work as a personal barista in any kitchen. It is made of stainless steel and has a sleek, slim design. This multifunctional machine is able to grind coffee beans, brew coffee, and froth milk for you and your guests.
The appliance features a removable 60-ounce (1.8 L) water reservoir and comes with a 17-ounce (500 ml) milk container. The bean chamber holds 8.8 oz. (250 g) of coffee beans. The device is equipped with a ceramic burr grinder that produces a little heat during the grinding process and preserves coffee aroma. There are 5 various grind settings to choose from. Both the bean hopper and the water tank are easy to access from the top panel.
The catch tray can hold up to 24 oz. (0.7 L) of wastewater, and the internal dregs bin keeps up to 15 pucks of spent coffee.
This model brews a variety of beverages and allows users to get frothed milk and hot water on demand. The temperature of the drinks can also be customized (3 adjustments). The user-friendly LCD and 6 buttons help make drinks and create a list of your favorites.
Despite the complexity of the appliance, it is easy to wash. It cleans the coffee circuit automatically each time the machine is switched on or off. The milk circuit is also cleaned automatically after each use.
- Works with pre-ground coffee as well and has a bypass doser
- The milk carafe can be removed and stored in the refrigerator
- The brew group can be detached for regular rinsing
- Saves energy and turns off after 1 hour of being idle
- Sends notifications (a descaling alert, a low water level, and others)
- The adjustable coffee spout 4.3’’-5.9’’ (110-150 mm)
- The finish is quick to mark
Bialetti Express Moka Pot 6-Cup Aluminum Silver Coffee Maker
The Bialetti brand can be easily recognized by its famous logo featuring a gentleman with a mustache. Actually, it represents the son of Alfonso Bialetti, the inventor of the Moka pot.
The pot is made of aluminum and has a silver body finish. Its brewing capacity is 9 oz. (270 ml), which is enough to make 6 espresso shots. The Moka is a universal device that consists of several chambers. The bottom chamber is filled up with water up to the safety valve, and the filter is loaded with ground coffee without pressing. Assemble all the parts and place the pot on the stovetop. When it starts gurgling, the coffee is ready.
Indeed, this pot is a cheap alternative to expensive espresso machines. This durable unit will last a lifetime.
- The Express Moka pot is available in various sizes/colors/types of handles
- The cleanup is easy and requires no detergents
- Suitable for electric, gas, and induction (an adapter plate is required) stoves
- Has an ergonomic thermoplastic handle
- Features a drip-free spout
- Suitable for camping
- Not dishwasher-safe
Breville BNV220CRO Vertuo Coffee and Americano Machine
The Vertuo model from Breville is a single-serve coffee machine. Performed in a retro-modern design, it is made of black plastic with chrome accents. The machine has a 40-ounce (1.2 L) water reservoir that can be removed for refilling.
The appliance accepts coffee pods and can make drinks of 5 different sizes (1.35, 2.7, 5, 8, and 14 oz.). It is very fast at heating water and starts brewing in 15-20 seconds. The unit features the capsule recognition technology and identifies the inserted capsule by scanning its barcode. The BNV220CRO uses the Centrifusion brewing system patented by Breville: after piercing the capsule, the machine spins it and blends ground coffee with the boiling water to create the perfect crema in each cup.
There is an adjustable drip tray to place cups of various heights.
- It’s energy-saving and shuts off automatically in 9 minutes if it is inactive
- Automatic capsule ejection
- The container for used capsules is large (up to 12 items)
- The aluminum capsules keep the coffee flavor
- It is compatible with Nespresso Vertuo pods only
- Doesn’t have extra functions (like heating water for tea)
Brim 19 Bar Fast Heating Americano Machine with Milk Steamer and Frother
This Brim coffee maker from SENSIO, Inc. offers unparalleled quality brewing. The model comes with several features that allow users to make coffee like a pro.
To start with, the machine is very impressive due to its polished stainless steel design and a pressure gauge indicator. It integrates a powerful 19-bar pump and a commercial-style steam wand that makes the perfect microfoam.
The capacity of the water tank is outstanding and reaches 71 oz. (2.1 L). To brew drinks, users should load coffee into the portafilter, choosing a 1- or 2-cup filter. The portafilter features a handle with a wooden finish.
Other eye-catching design elements of this model are 2 wands. The left wand is an instant hot water dispenser. On the right side, there is a swivel steam wand to froth milk.
This solid device is simple to operate via 4 buttons on the front panel and a side tumbler switch. Due to the thermal coil system, customers get consistently hot beverages.
- Includes a stainless steel pitcher for frothing milk (12 oz.) and multiple accessories
- The top panel of the machine serves as a cup-warming plate
- The buttons have a calming blue backlight
- A robust and durable design
- The water reservoir, a steam wand tip, and a catch tray are detachable
- The customers complain some units arrive defective (the machines may leak, have steam wands that don’t work, and feature other malfunctions)
- The pressure gauge is mostly for the show and doesn’t go above 25%
Keurig K-Cafe Single-Serve K-Cup Coffee Maker
This model from Keurig features an elegant appearance and has a matte black exterior with silver accents. Its interface is simple and comes with easy-to-understand buttons.
The drip tray can be removed to adjust tall cups (even travel mugs up to 7.2’’ tall). The reservoir for water is massive and holds 60 oz. (1.8 L). It can also be detached. It has a carrying handle, which is very convenient.
The upper panel of the machine allows users to choose the size of the drink (6, 8, 10, and 12 oz.). Also, there are helpful indicator lights (“Auto Off,” “Descale,” and “Add Water”) that make the operation simple.
This brewer works with K-Cup pods and integrates a milk frothing device so that you can froth your choice of fresh milk.
Due to the Smart Start system, the machine heats and then brews in one simple process.
- Has an energy-saving program (turns off in 2 hours of non-use)
- The milk frother is dishwasher-safe
- Has a “Cold” setting for iced frothed milk
- Compatible with a K-Cup universal reusable filter for brewing ground coffee (sold separately)
- Accepts any type of K-Cup pods
- The plastic handle of the water tank often breaks
- Some units have an electrical fault
NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto Genio 2 Coffee Machine
This model is an automatic coffee maker that uses capsules. The device has a modern appearance and is performed in silver. Due to a small footprint, it doesn’t take much space on the countertop. Unlike traditional pod-based machines, the Dolce Gusto Genio 2 integrates a 15-bar pressure pump and offers professional-grade coffee extraction with a thick crema.
The capacity of the water tank is 45 oz. (1.3 L). To brew a drink, insert a capsule and use a toggle joystick to choose the intensity and size of the drink on the LED display. Match the number of LED bars to the number of bars indicated on the capsule. After that, choose between cold and hot beverage options with the same selection lever.
Most coffee flavors require using 2 pods. For some milk-based drinks, you should also pop in another capsule that contains milk.
- Very compact
- Available in other colors of the housing
- Has a bin for used capsules
- Switches off automatically after 5 minutes of inactivity
- Fast brewing in seconds
- The water reservoir and the catch pan can be removed
- The drip tray can be adjusted to 3 various positions for small/large cups
- The choice of pods is limited since the unit doesn’t accept K-Cup but only Dolce Gusto capsules
- Some models are designed with a colored cord for the plug that looks ridiculous
Cuisinart SS-20P1 10-Cup Thermal Single-Serve Brewer Coffeemaker
This versatile coffee maker from Cuisinart allows brewing both solo drinks for a single person and the whole carafe for a group of guests. It integrates an automatic brewer on the left side of the appliance and a single-serve coffee machine on the right side.
The appliance includes 2 water reservoirs. The water tank of the carafe brewer is built-in and allows making up to 10 cups at a time. The level of liquid is easily visible through a view window that eliminates the guesswork. For brewing coffee, you can program the device in advance for up to 24 hours. Due to the Brew Pause function, you can interrupt the brewing cycle and pour the first cup. The brew strength control allows users to enjoy a stronger coffee flavor.
The water container of the single-serve machine holds 40 oz. (1.2 L) of liquid and can serve 3 drink sizes (6, 8, and 10 oz.). It works with both ground coffee and capsules. The machine features an energy-saving mode and shows notification alerts if it requires more water or needs to be cleaned.
- The catch tray and the water tank of the single-serve coffee maker can be detached
- Comes with a reusable filter cup
- Compatible with any type of K-Cup pods
- Both water tanks can be used with charcoal filters
- The carafe brewer has a self-cleaning function
- You can’t tell how much coffee is left in the carafe since it is not transparent
- The design of the carafe has a flaw: it doesn’t allow pouring the drink to the last drop
- Coffee spits over the counter when you use K-Cup pods
In the section below, you may find useful information concerning coffee machines that can be used for brewing americano. It may help you understand the specifics of how to make this popular drink.
What Is a Coffee Maker for Americano ??
Americano is a coffee drink made of espresso diluted with hot water in a certain proportion. Usually, the ratio is 1:3 or 2:3. To make this beverage, an espresso machine is needed (or any other appliance that brews espresso, for example, a Turkish coffee maker).
How to Make Americano ☕️ Coffee with an Espresso Machine?
To make americano at home, brew 1 or 2 espresso shots using an espresso machine. Serve the beverage in a large cup and add 2 ounces of hot water to every ounce of the brewed espresso. To save the crema, add espresso to water and not vice versa. You can customize your americano by adding milk, sugar/honey and sprinkling some cinnamon on the top. You are free to create your own recipe.
Where to Buy ? the Best Coffee Maker for Americano?
Modern digital gadgets allow us to buy a coffee maker without leaving our homes. Online sales have greatly increased during the 2019 pandemic. Visit the official websites of the manufacturers and choose the model that fits your needs. Large online vendors such as Amazon, Best Buy, eBay, Costco, Target, Walmart, and others may offer a larger selection of appliances, including models from Lieto, Philips, Spinn, BUNN, Gourmia, Calphalon, Krups, etc. So, surf their websites as well. You may find beneficial reviews posted by customers on these trading platforms.
You know how popular americano is. If you’re a fan of this drink and a frequent visitor of coffee houses, consider buying your own coffee machine to make it at home. Rest assured soon it will pay off. Trying to recreate a traditional americano taste, you can use any device from the selection of the best coffee machines for americano featured in this post. Even using a simple and inexpensive French press or a Moka pot, you’ll get this authentic coffee taste.
- Manual Espresso Machine – ECP3420 | De’Longhi US – https://www.delonghi.com/
- CE251: Manual, Quick Start Guide, Inspirational Guide – Ninja US – https://support.ninjakitchen.com/
- Mr. Coffee® Café Barista – https://www.mrcoffee.com/
- Gaggia Anima Prestige – One Touch Coffee Machine, All in One – https://gaggia.com/
- Moka Express Bialetti – https://www.bialetti.com/
- Vertuo Nespresso Machine – Breville – https://www.breville.com/
- Dolce Gusto® Genio 2 Automatic Coffee Machine | Nescafe UAE – https://www.nescafe.com/
- Genio 2 Single Serve Coffee Machine NESCAFÉ® Dolce Gusto® – https://www.dolce-gusto.us/
- Coffee Center® 10-Cup Thermal Coffeemaker and Single-Serve Brewer – Cuisinart – https://www.cuisinart.com/