Large and spacious coffee machines are suitable for big families and groups of people who consume multiple cups of coffee every day. If you have a small household with 1 or 2 coffee addicts in the family, you need a compact and affordable appliance that is simple in operation and maintenance. This post reviews the top-rated 4-cup coffee makers that are ideal for brewing 1-4 cups daily and able to wake you up in the morning with a gorgeous aroma.
Now, getting the right pick from the best 4-cup coffee makers popular on the market today will be easier if you scroll the review up to the end and discover the peculiarities of each offered model.
List of the Best 4 Cup Coffee Makers
Before you read the detailed descriptions of all the appliances, take a look at the characteristics and functions of each model. This structured data may help you find your favorite right from the beginning.
Mr. Coffee DR5-RB Simple Brew 4 Cup Drip Coffee Maker
Mr. Coffee is one of the first brands that comes to the minds of coffee consumers in case they need a coffee maker. The DR5-RB is a good option if you’re searching for a compact and easy-to-use drip coffee maker. With this simple brew 4-cup switch coffee machine, you can make 4 cups 5 ounces each in a single brew.
The model comes in a classic matte black design. Due to a small footprint, it won’t look like an eyesore on your counter.
The device features a detachable filter basket that can be easily removed and cleaned. It is equipped with a Grab-a-Cup Auto Pause function which allows impatient users to interrupt the brewing process and pour the first cup of coffee without waiting for the end of the cycle.
The on/off light is a helpful feature that indicates when the machine is functioning. When the green light is on, it reminds you to switch the device off.
- The dual window allows users to watch the water level and have no overflow issues while refilling water
- A stain-resistant warming plate
- An affordable price tag
- Occupies little space
- A sleek design
- Simple to use
- The housing is made of plastic
- The shape of the carafe makes it difficult to clean because of the narrowed top (this is not a real deal-breaker since the carafe is dishwasher-safe)
- Doesn’t shut off automatically
- The carafe is not thermal
- The permanent filter should be bought separately
Cuisinart DCC-450BK 4-Cup Black Coffeemaker with Stainless-Steel Carafe
The DCC-450BK from Cuisinart is a drip coffee maker that features a plastic housing, but it comes with a stainless steel carafe that retains the optimal temperature of the drinks.
The model is very compact and light. It can be kept on the counter without sacrificing much space. Despite its simplistic appearance, the device comes with a handful of great perks.
As most of the machines described, this device has a Brew Pause feature that allows coffee lovers to sneak a cup if the brewing process is not over. The appliance pauses for 30 seconds and then proceeds the operation. Indeed, the brewing goes very fast.
The model is equipped with a light indicator that keeps users informed if the device is powered or not.
- A minimalist design
- A tiny footprint
- The durable carafe features a knuckle guard and a dripless spout
- Automatic shut off in half an hour
- The model is available in other color options, including white and red
- An economical machine
- The water tank is not removable and has no viewing window
- The paint on the warming plate can peel after continuous use
- The shape of the carafe makes it difficult to clean
- The design of the carafe lid is very unpractical
Farberware FCP240 2-4-Cup Stainless Steel Percolator
The electric percolator from Farberware looks premium due to its polished stainless steel exterior. This is a good choice to brew coffee for small families and singles since the device can make 2-4 cups 5 ounces each. The kettle is very powerful (1,000 Watt) and has a fast brew speed. It makes 1 cup for 1 minute and won’t keep you waiting.
The FCP240 is equipped with a plastic handle that is cool to touch and has a plastic lid knob with rounded edges for easy handling.
Due to a durable stainless steel coffee basket, users can extract the fullest flavor from their favorite ground coffee. FYI, all other internal elements of the machine are made of stainless steel as well.
The kettle keeps the beverage hot after the brewing process is complete.
- The detachable cord simplifies pouring and moving
- A durable construction
- Fast brewing
- The exterior leaves fingerprints and requires regular polishing
- Because of the powerful heater, the boiling kettle can shake on the counter
- Some users claim that new models that are made in Mexico are not durable
KRUPS KM550D50 Personal Silver Drip Coffee Maker with Grinder
If you want to enjoy the freshest taste of coffee, opt for a Bean-to-Cup drip coffee machine from KRUPS which is equipped with the function of grinding coffee beans before brewing. The KM550D50 is a unique model that comes with a grinder and releases an irresistible coffee aroma for your breakfast.
This personal coffee maker has an attractive appearance performed in black and stainless steel. It integrates a stainless steel flat burr grinder with 2 settings that can be adjusted to get coarse or fine grind.
For the brewing process, you can choose a regular or bold setting (if you prefer a more robust flavor). The glass pot collects the brewed beverage which is enough to serve 4 cups. Thanks to a warming plate, the drink remains hot for 30 minutes. After that, the appliance switches off automatically.
- Can also be used with pre-ground coffee
- Can grind both oily and flavored/medium- and dark-roasted coffee beans
- The machine parts can be disassembled and cleaned in a dishwasher
- Arrives with a permanent stainless steel brewing basket and some extra accessories
- The drink strength customization option
- Looks chic
- Quite compact
- It is hard to pour a full pot of coffee without spilling some on the counter (and there are other multiple design flaws)
- The grinding chamber is difficult to get cleaned
- Cannot be used with paper filters, so some grounds may get into the brewed beverage
- Before making another pot right away, you have to clean the entire interior assembly and the basket
Gevi 4-Cup Compact Coffee Pot Brewer Machine with Cone Filter and Auto-Shut Off
The housing of this model from Gevi is stainless steel and black plastic. This drip coffee maker is a good device that makes 4 cups of coffee at a time.
Its water reservoir holds 600 ml of water. It has a visible gauge and an anti-leaking hole.
The carafe is made of a borosilicate BPS-free material that is quite strong. It is dishwasher-safe which is a bonus. The brew pause function allows users to taste a cup of coffee by pausing the brewing process.
The brew basket features a convenient design and can be easily accessed from the front just by turning the funnel to the right. It arrives with a nylon permanent filter.
The device comes with a warming plate that is non-stick and keeps the carafe hot for 120 minutes. The appliance features a 30-second stop leak function that ensures no coffee spills on the counter.
- A sleek steel design
- Simple to use by pressing one button
- A competitive price point
- Shuts off automatically after 2 hours of non-use
- Most parts are detachable and can be cleaned
- Grab-a-Cup Auto Pause
- Brews very fast (4-6 minutes)
- The replacement parts are hard to find
- The brew basket is not for left-handers
Mr. Coffee DRX5-RB 4-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker
With this model from Mr. Coffee, you can enjoy all the bells and whistles of a programmable drip coffee maker at a reasonable price tag. You can set the brewing time and let the refreshing coffee smell wake you up in the morning. The bottom panel allows you to program hours and minutes and also serves as a digital clock.
The DRX5-RB has some common features with the DR5-RB from Mr. Coffee described above. The appliance comes in a matte black design. The water reservoir has 2 viewing windows so that you can see the level of water from both sides of the machine and be precise while refilling water. The power on/off indicator lights show users if the machine is in action. Due to a Grab-a-Cup Auto Pause function, you can interrupt the machine while it is brewing and have a cup of coffee before the process is completed.
The device keeps the brewed beverage hot for 1 hour and then switches off automatically.
- Has cord storage
- The filter basket can be removed and cleaned
- Pretty compact
- A budget model
- Integrates a warming plate
- Has a timer
- The plastic machine parts may affect the coffee taste
- The carafe lid is flimsy
- The carafe is not insulated and loses heat quickly
- Doesn’t include a permanent filter
- The beverages are not too hot
Chefman Grind and Brew 4 Cup Stainless Steel Coffee Maker and Grinder
This is another model on the list that comes with an integrated blade grinder and offers a Grind-to-Pour system. The drip machine from Chefman looks very professional and is performed in black and stainless steel.
You put beans in the top-loading chamber, and the device grinds and brews them instantly offering 4 cups of the fresh-made beverage. With a rotating knob, you can choose between different functions. You can select the number of cups you want to get (or use it as a brew strength setting) and the coffee type (whole beans or grounds).
Coffee drinkers who are eager to have a quick cup, can pause the brewing process and enjoy the beverage by pulling out the carafe without making a mess. When the drink is ready, the appliance keeps it warm for 30 minutes and turns off automatically afterward.
- Accepts ground coffee
- A modern and compact design
- One-touch operation
- The viewing window allows you to keep track of the amount of water in the reservoir
- Includes a permanent mesh filter
- Cleaning the coffee grounds out of the filter basket can be time-consuming
- Some users have issues with the grinder functioning
- More expensive than other machines in the review
- The drink may have a plastic smell
Hamilton Beach HDC500C Commercial 4 Cup Black Coffeemaker with Glass Carafe
This Hamilton Beach drip coffee maker maintains minimal features, but it makes good coffee and is easy to use. The model features a black plastic exterior and comes with a glass carafe that sits on a warming plate that is non-stick.
The brew basket is convenient to use since it is swing-away and can be removed for cleanup.
The machine has an auto pause function so you can pour a quick cup of coffee without waiting for the whole cycle to be over. When the beverage is ready, the warming plate retains the temperature for half an hour. After 30 minutes of non-use, the device switches off automatically.
- The carafe and the brew basket are dishwasher-friendly
- A slim design
- A superior design of the brew basket
- Saves electricity due to auto turn off
- The illuminated power button indicates if the appliance is on/off
- The water level cannot be viewed
- While pouring, the pot drips from the spout
Mr. Coffee ECM160-RB 4-Cup Espresso System with Milk Frother
Another model from Mr. Coffee has a black plastic and stainless steel design. It integrates the whole brewing system. The appliance comes with a portafilter to load ground coffee, a glass carafe able to hold 4 cups of espresso, and a frothing wand to make a creamy froth for your caffeinated beverages. The decanter features a drip-free spout and a handle that remains cool. The frothing wand is swivel and makes it very convenient to froth milk at a different angle.
The device is operated via a control knob that activates hot steam and forces it through the filter with the pressure of 3 bars.
- The drip tray can be detached for cleaning
- Equipped with a frothing arm
- Has cord storage
- The brewing speed is fast
- Makes strong coffee
- A space-saver
- Comes with an on/off indicator light
- The water tank is fixed and cannot be cleaned
- The plastic knob that turns the machine on and off is prone to breakage
- The model is not durable
Sunbeam BVSBECM160-033 4-Cup Steam Espresso Maker
If you prefer milk-based coffee beverages and don’t want to spend a fortune on a Rolls Royce of coffee machines, this steam espresso/cappuccino maker from Sunbeam is an optimal appliance that will help you make these drinks at home. You’ll be super happy with this machine if it is not an issue for you that it is completely manual except for the process of making espresso.
Its working principle is similar to a regular espresso machine. You need to load ground coffee to a portafilter, lock it in the brewhead, and turn the machine on. Hot steam will infuse the grounds, and your coffee beverage will pour into a pot underneath the brewhead.
To froth milk, immerse the wand in a jug with milk and rotate the control knob at the back of the appliance to the “froth” position.
- Comes with an integrated frothing wand
- Has cord storage
- The catch tray is removable
- Compact and can be stashed for storage with ease
- The coffee tastes good
- Doesn’t include a tamper
- The steam wand is awkward
- The water level cannot be monitored
- Not very durable
- There is no automatic switch off
If you still have questions concerning 4-cup espresso machines, you may find the following section very useful. It may be helpful even if you already have one in your household.
Why Do You Need a 4 Cup Coffee ☕ Maker?
A 4-cup coffee maker is the best choice for people who need a travel-size, compact device that allows them to make a single espresso or a couple of servings more for friends. These appliances are quite inexpensive, besides you can enjoy specialty coffee drinks without leaving your home.
How Do You Clean 💧 a 4-Cup Espresso Machine?
The cleaning procedures are given in the instruction manual for each model. As a rule, most parts of these coffee makers are removable and dishwasher-friendly. The descaling procedure is performed using citric acid, white vinegar, or a descaling solution as stated in the booklet.
How Much Coffee Do I Put 🥄 in a 4 Cup Espresso Maker?
The typically recommended ratio is 1:1 for cups to tablespoons. A 4-cup espresso maker requires 4 tablespoons of ground coffee. You are free to change the ratio depending on the desired brew strength. Ground coffee can also be measured by weight because light-roasted beans are smaller and, as a result, heavier than dark-roasted ones that are more porous.
Where to Buy 🛒 the Best 4 Cup Coffee Maker?
This selection doesn’t cover all affordable and trusted coffee makers offered by the American, Canadian, and European manufacturers. Aside from these models, you can consider other brands such as BELLA, Keurig, Elite Cuisine, Melitta, Gevalia, BLACK AND DECKER, BUNN, DeLonghi, KitchenAid, Braun, ProctorSilex, Kitchen Gourmet, etc. Their coffee machines can be found on Amazon and eBay platforms, in large supermarkets like Walmart and Costco, and in specialized stores like Best Buy and Williams Sonoma. Also, you can buy them online from these vendors because all of them have easy-to-use websites with a convenient filter selection of products.
This review will help people who love coffee and are searching for single-serve solutions to find the appliance of their dream. With this selection of machines, you can brew small batches of coffee, saving your time for the brewing process and cleaning procedures. All the models are effective, practical, portable, and don’t occupy much space on your counter. Despite their compact size, most devices are packed with multiple features to simplify a routine brewing process and even have more functions than you can expect.
- Mr. Coffee® Steam Espresso and Cappuccino Maker – https://www.mrcoffee.com/
- Drip coffee maker GECMA409-U – GEVI – https://gevilife.com/
- Cuisinart® 4 Cup Coffeemaker with Stainless Steel Carafe – https://www.cuisinart.com/
- 2-4 Cup* Electric Percolator, Stainless Steel | Farberware – http://www.farberwareproducts.com/
- Sunbeam Instruction Manuals – https://www.sunbeam.ca/
- Chefman Grind and Brew Coffee Maker, Grinder – https://chefman.com/