Actually, tap water is not overall bad: it is rich in minerals like magnesium and calcium. Using it while brewing coffee will result in the incredible smell and taste of your drinks. Unfortunately, the use of this water in coffee makers has an opposite side. It affects the internal parts of an appliance by building limescale deposits, and your coffee machine will require more frequent descaling procedures.
If you want to avoid repeated cleanups, think of buying a coffee machine that has stood the test of time and hard water. The devices described in this post are specially designed to be used with unpurified water.
Best Coffee Makers for Hard Water
Hard water enhances the flavor of coffee beans. Check the list of the best coffee makers for hard water that won’t prevent you from enjoying coffee aroma despite which type of water is used. Learn their technical parameters before reading about the specifics of their operation.
CHULUX: Top Single Serve Coffee Maker for Hard Water
The CHULUX pod-type coffee maker tops the list of the best coffee makers for hard water. This Chinese brand is a decent alternative to expensive devices from world-known companies.
Thanks to a compact and slim design, the machine is space-saving. It is available in a variety of fun colors, including orange and green. If you prefer classic shades, you can choose an appliance with a black or grey housing.
The brewer has a plastic exterior, but its water container is made of stainless steel. The tank is not large (12 oz./355 ml), but it is enough to make a beverage for 1-2 people.
The appliance is easy to use. You just insert a coffee pod in the capsule chamber and press a single operation button. The brewing time is 2-3 minutes. The model also accepts ground coffee and loose tea.
The removable drip pan allows accommodating large travel mugs (up to 5.3’’ tall).
The brewer can be easily cleaned due to a detachable filter basket.
- Portable thanks to its travel size
- Manufactured in multiple colors to match any kitchen décor
- Fast brewing time
- Simple operation and cleanup
- An automatic turn-off feature
- Sold at a fantastic price
- A small water container
- Some machines are not durable and may leak or break
- A reusable filter is not included
- Designed for 1-2 people, not suitable for a large office/home
- There is no water viewing window to determine how much liquid is left
Cuisinart DCC-1150BKP1 Classic Thermal Coffee Maker
This machine incorporates multiple features and comes with a higher price tag than the previous device. This drip coffee maker works with ground coffee.
Talking about the design, it is classic. The housing is performed in black and features a steel control panel with a number of buttons:
- the “1-4” setting is used if you want to brew smaller pots of coffee;
- the illuminated “CLEAN” button informs you when to make a descaling procedure and remove calcium buildup;
- the “HR” and “MIN” buttons help you set the time on the LCD digital clock.
The appliance includes a double-wall thermal carafe, which is made of stainless steel and keeps drinks hot.
The water reservoir is pretty large and allows making up to 10 cups of coffee.
The operation and cleanup of the device are simple. Thanks to the Brew Pause feature, the user can pause a brewing process and enjoy the beverage before the whole cycle is complete.
- A sleek design
- Self-cleaning feature
- 24-hour programmability
- The insulated carafe has a convenient hands-free lid
- Turns off automatically
- Arrives with a coffee filter and a charcoal water filter
- The flavor extraction rate varies during the brew cycle, so the coffee should be stirred before serving to blend the flavors
- The water fill line is hard to see since it’s on the backside of the device
- The carafe resting plate can rust
- The shape of the carafe prevents it from complete emptying
- The drink temperature is not high, and the coffee becomes almost cool after adding milk
Braun KF6050WH BrewSense Drip Coffee Maker
This model manufactured by Braun works with ground coffee. The machine features an elegant appearance and incredible functionality. It has a durable stainless steel exterior and comes with a glass carafe, which allows making 12 cups of coffee and seals in the coffee flavor. The users can choose the 1-4 cup setting or brew the whole pot.
The device integrates the Brew Pause system, which allows you to pour a drink during the brewing cycle.
The model is intuitive to use thanks to operation buttons and a large display with LED indicators. The easy-to-read buttons help you set the clock, program auto-on and auto-off functions, and start a descaling procedure.
The machine allows using a water filter to eliminate calcium deposits on the heating elements. Regarding your water hardness level, you can customize a cleaning feature.
- A programmable 24-hour timer
- A small footprint
- A classic design
- Includes a permanent coffee filter and a charcoal water filter
- Careful engineering
- Reasonably priced
- All programming is lost when you unplug the machine
- Doesn’t keep the drinks too hot
- The carafe lid is flimsy and cheaply made
- The carafe drips along the side when pouring coffee/water
Hamilton Beach FlexBrew Coffee Maker
The Hamilton Beach coffee machine is performed in black and silver and looks very stylish. The device offers full customization of drinks. It is compatible with both ground coffee and capsules and can brew a single serve or a full pot (it includes a glass carafe).
The right part of the appliance brews drinks for small cups and travel mugs (a 10 oz. capsule or 14 oz. mug with grounds). The height allows you to accommodate an 8’’ tall mug. In its left part, you can brew a carafe (up to 12 cups). Each section has its own water reservoir and a water window to check a liquid level.
The operation buttons have icons, so programming the machine is a breeze. The users can set a digital clock, customize coffee strength, and perform other settings. In addition, the machine is equipped with a programmable timer and the function of keeping your drink warm for 2 hours.
Most machine parts and a capsule piercing assembly can be removed for cleaning.
- Uses fresh grounds and K-Cup pods
- Can brew any quantity of beverages
- Available in various color versions
- Arrives with a permanent coffee filter
- Automatic pause, shut-off, and serve
- There is a built-in storage place inside a cup rest for a brew basket and a pack holder
- Not compact
- Some customers complain their machines leak
- There is no big difference between regular and strong coffee it makes
Nespresso VertuoPlus Coffee and Espresso Maker Bundle
With the Nespresso VertuoPlus, you’ll take your brewing style to the next level. The device has a modern appearance and can make various cup sizes. With a one-button touch, you can brew 1.35, 2.7, 5, 8, and 14 oz. beverages.
This is a pod machine that uses coffee capsules. The model reads a pod barcode and brews a beverage according to the written parameters. The appliance uses a unique extraction technology patented by the manufacturer. Thanks to Centrifusion innovation, the machine makes coffee drinks with incredible crema.
The model integrates a larger water reservoir (40 oz./1.2 L) than the previous devices of this series. The tank is removable and can be rotated in 3 various positions.
The catch tray can also be adjusted to accommodate any cup size.
The best thing is that this machine arrives in a bundle with a frothing device. The Aeroccino unit is known for making fantastic frothed milk.
- Creates amazing crema thanks to the patented coffee extraction system
- Includes a frothing device
- Adjustable water tank and drip tray
- Brews multiple mug sizes
- Comes with a complimentary gift (a set of capsules)
- The capsules can be recycled
- Compatible only with pods from the Vertuo line, which are not cheap
- The housing is made of inexpensive plastic
BUNN GRB Velocity Brew 10-Cup Coffee Maker
Another machine to review is the GRB Velocity from BUNN. The device is rather tall and takes some counter space. It looks like an industrial unit.
The appliance features a stainless steel water reservoir and can make 4-10 cups of coffee. The spacious tank requires a lot of water in it. If you want to brew 6 cups of coffee, adding 6 cups of water will be insufficient: the machine requires the whole carafe. The water always remains hot, so you can make your beverages instantly.
The GRB Velocity comes with a glass carafe that rests on a porcelain-coated warming plate. The carafe has a plastic spout, which is weird-looking but good at preventing dripping.
The machine works with ground coffee and is operated via a single button. The multi-stream spray head delivers hot water evenly over the grounds and allows extracting the best flavor.
The carafe and the brew funnel require cleaning after each use. If you don’t use a device for long, you can drain the water in the reservoir.
- Makes hot drinks
- The drip-free carafe is well designed
- An enormous water container
- Brews quickly
- The device has instant hot water that can be used for making tea or oatmeal
- Easy to use
- A good device for big families
- Not compact
- Cannot be programmed
- The water level cannot be viewed
- Has no auto turn-off function
Touch Choice Single Serve Coffee Maker
With the Touch Choice, you can customize your beverages as well. The device offers users to select a drink size (6, 8, 10, 12, or 14 oz.) and drink strength (mild, medium, or bold). The corresponding buttons are located on the operation panel. They are illuminated and have icons for easy use.
Performed in black and grey, the machine looks futuristic. It has an extra-large water container, which holds 90 oz. (2.66 L) of water. Its catch tray is removable and adjustable and allows you to accommodate any mug size.
The Touch Choice is a pod machine compatible with a variety of capsule types: K-Cup, Touch XBold/XPlus, and generic cups.
The machine integrates the Rapid Brew technology and heats water in 20 seconds. The device will help you save on energy costs because it turns off automatically after non-use.
- Fast at heating up water
- Allows users to choose beverage strength and size
- A spacious water tank
- Simple in operation
- The water container is hard to fill
- Some machines have a short lifespan
- Customer service is not good
Even if you have enough experience in coffee making, you may lack some information because you haven’t come across it before. The below section gives answers to the most typical inquiries regarding coffee machines for hard water.
What Is a Coffee Maker ☕ for Hard Water?
Coffee machines for hard water include inner components made of stainless steel or aluminum that can withstand calcium buildup and last longer. These models require less frequent descaling with less powerful solutions than regular coffee makers. Some of these devices integrate a feature that allows adjusting a level of water hardness and alert users when it is time for a cleanup.
How Do You Get Rid of Hard Water 💧 in a Coffee Maker?
Will running tap water hurt my coffee maker? How do you clean your device? Do you know how to get scales out of a single-serve coffee machine? This section is for customers who ask these questions.
To make your coffee machine last longer, use soft/filtered water that is less rich in minerals than hard water. Some appliances are designed to be used with a water filter, which allows users to get rid of impurities present in tap water. Perform regular descaling procedures with white vinegar or a special descaling solution.
Where to Buy 🛒 the Best Coffee Maker for Hard Water?
Home coffee makers for use with hard water can be bought from manufactures’ official websites. If you want your purchase to be physically viewed, visit large brick-and-mortar shops that sell household devices.
Internet shopping remains one of the cheapest ways to get a unit you need. Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, eBay, Costco, Williams Sonoma, and other famous online stores offer these coffee makers for sale. Sometimes these vendors sell even discontinued items that are no longer available in branded shops.
The longevity of a coffee maker is of paramount importance for coffee drinkers, especially for people who use hard water for brewing. The machines described above are the most reliable and highly rated units that can be used with this type of water. By buying them, you can enjoy hot and flavored beverages every morning. These models are smart and aesthetically pleasing appliances and can handle hard water with ease.
- CHULUX Single Serve Coffee Maker Brewer – https://chulux.com/
- Cuisinart® 10 Cup Programmable Thermal Coffeemaker – https://www.cuisinart.com/
- BrewSense Drip Coffee Maker – KF6050WH – https://www.braunhousehold.com/
- BrewSense Coffee Maker KF6050 Manual – https://www.braunhousehold.com/
- Coffee Makers – HamiltonBeach – https://hamiltonbeach.com/
- Hamilton Beach 2-Way FlexBrew – Use & Care – https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/
- VertuoPlus Grey Bundle | New Vertuo Espresso Machine | Nespresso USA – https://www.nespresso.com/
- TOUCH Choice T414S Single-Serve Brewing System – http://touchbeverages.com/
- Speed Brew Owners Manual – https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/
- Coffee Makers – BUNN Retail Site – https://retail.bunn.com/