It is very convenient and cost-effective to have a coffee machine at home. Once you cover the cost of the device, you’ll save lots of money on daily Starbucks beverages.
This post from MilkFrotherTop is a Mr. Coffee Optimal Brew review. It describes a stunning-looking coffee maker that is packed with numerous features. Let’s make a complete examination of the model and determine if it is worthy of occupying extra space on your countertop.
Design and Main Parts of Mr. Coffee Optimal Brew
If you are interested in the technical characteristics of the model, find the main parameters in the table.
|Product Feature||Feature Parameters|
|Dimensions (HxWxD)||14.33’’ x 13.11’’ x 8.7’’|
|Water tank size||50 oz./1.5L|
|Brewing capacity||10 cups|
|Wattage/Voltage||1300 W/120 V|
|Material||Stainless steel/ABS plastic|
|Color||Silver with black accents|
Design and Appearance
The design of the model is aesthetically pleasing. The machine is made of polished stainless steel and looks very professional. Also, it features some plastic parts as tiny black accents to the overall stylish design.
The machine is rather tall (more than 14’’). The construction requires extra space on the countertop because it comes with a brew basket drawer and a water reservoir, which are sideward removable. You will need a wide clearance to squeeze the appliance between the cabinets.
The first thing that will catch your eye is a big steel thermal carafe nestled on the platform. It is double-walled and able to keep the temperature and preserve the flavor of the brewed coffee for several hours without a warming plate.
The water reservoir holds liquid to make 10 cups of coffee 5 fl. oz./150 ml each. The minimal brewing capacity is 2 cups. The tank is made of transparent black plastic with liquid level markings. It can easily be detached and filled with water directly from a faucet. This also helps with a cleaning procedure.
The device comes with an integrated water filter, which is carbon-based. It helps reduce chlorine by 97%. The thing features a water filtration disk with markings that indicate when to change it. Customers who use filtered water don’t need this tool.
The machine is programmable thanks to 2 columns of buttons located on the right panel. The display serves as a convenient kitchen clock and has a Fresh Brew Timer function, which lets users know how long the beverage has been waiting for them. The 6 operation buttons come with the following functions:
- “Dim Display.” It allows reducing the brightness of the display and saving on energy.
- “Set Delay.” The button allows setting the delay brew time. Before using this function, set the clock first.
- “Hour” and “Minute.” Primarily, they are used to set the clock. After the display is in the clock mode, use both buttons to set the time for delay brew.
- “Delay Brew.” Press it to activate the delay brew. For safety reasons, this function should be activated each time before brewing. Make new time settings if you want your coffee to brew the following day.
- “Clean.” This light will automatically illuminate when the machine has made 90 brew cycles or has experienced 2 consecutive cycles lasting longer than 9.5 minutes.
Other Parts and Features
This 10-cup thermal coffee maker system is unique since it allows using 2 types of coffee filters: a paper filter or a permanent one (sold separately).
The machine makes hot drinks. The manufacturer claims the freshly made coffee to be 205°F/96°C. Most owners of this coffee maker say the actual temperature is lower (170-180°F/77-82°C), but still, it is rather high. The temperature drops 5-10°F/12-15°C an hour, depending on how tight the carafe is sealed.
How to Use Mr. Coffee Optimal Brew Thermal Coffee Maker?
The machine is easy to operate. These are the main steps on how to use it:
- Fill the tank with fresh water. Check the level of water in the reservoir regarding the markings on the walls. The minimum amount of water is 2 cups.
- Place a 10-cup paper basket-style filter into the brew basket drawer (or buy a permanent filter from the manufacturer).
- Put ground coffee in the coffee filter. To brew four 5-ounce cups, use 3 tablespoons of ground coffee. Experiment with the amount of coffee to suit your taste. The Mr. Coffee owners suggest using a little more ground coffee than stated in the manual. Shake the filter gently to level the ground coffee. Slide the drawer back into its place.
- Make sure that the carafe is securely in place. Push the “Brew now/Off” button. It will illuminate and pulse, which means the coffee machine is on and brewing. After an audible signal (you’ll hear 3 beeps), the brewing process is finished.
Before making the next pot of coffee:
- Switch the machine off to reset the Fresh Brew Timer function.
- Press the “Brew now/Off” button until all lights switch off.
- Before making a new brew, check that the carafe is empty.
The machine switches off automatically after 2 hours. You may also turn it off by pushing the “Brew now/Off” button.
How to Clean This Programmable Thermal Coffee Maker?
This is a small section on how to clean the machine because the BVMC-PSTX91-RB is quite simple to look after. To clean the appliance:
- Make sure it is unplugged.
- Let the coffee grounds cool down after the brewing process.
- Remove the filter basket and the permanent coffee filter.
- Wash them in hot water with liquid soap. If you use a paper filter, discard it.
The thermal carafe is not dishwasher-safe. Remove the lid, turning it to the right. Wash the carafe with warm water using no abrasives that may scratch the housing.
The water filtration disk requires replacement once a month (or after 30 brew cycles).
The “Clean” function enables users to clean mineral deposits from the machine. The light will not switch off until you run a cleaning procedure. The cleanup takes 45 minutes. The cleaning instructions are described in the manual. Regular cleaning will extend the life of your appliance.
Other Features You Need to Know
There are a couple of features that have not been mentioned in the review of the machine.
- The appliance comes with a convenient excess cord storage place in the back to keep your counter neat.
- The device has a Pause & Serve function, which offers an opportunity to pour a cup of coffee while the machine is still brewing. If you cannot wait until the whole process is over, remove the carafe carefully from its place, and the feature will be activated automatically. The machine will pause the brewing process. Put the carafe back, and the brewing process will proceed.
Advantages and Disadvantages
The owners of this model share their opinions about the Mr. Coffee Optimal Brew maintenance and point out some issues they face during its utilization.
- A sleek and modern design
- Easy to use
- Reasonably priced
- Not loud
- Made of solid materials
- A detachable water container with a filter basket
- The insulated carafe keeps drinks warm
- Makes decent coffee
- The brushed steel housing shows fingerprints
- The carafe pours a bit too slowly
- Rather tall
- The carafe is drippy
- The temperature of the brewed drink is lower than claimed by the manufacturer
- Doesn’t come with sample paper filters (permanent ones are sold separately)
If your machine doesn’t operate satisfactorily, you may find the potential problems on your own. Try the recommended steps before contacting an authorized service center.
|The coffee is not brewing.||
|The coffee tastes bad.||
|There are coffee grounds in the beverage.||
|The machine brews slowly.||The device requires cleaning.|
|The machine brews water instead of coffee.||The filter basket is empty. Put ground coffee in it according to the instructions.|
|The filter basket overflows.||
If these troubleshooting tips don’t help and you do have questions, call the consumer service department.
Where to Buy Mr. Coffee Optimal Brew 10-Cup Coffee Maker with Thermal Carafe?
The coffeemaker system PSTX91 is available on the official website of the brand. Also, it can be purchased from numerous online sellers and other authorized retailers. Buy this model brand new in Bed Bath and Beyond, Best Buy, Target, Walmart, and other online stores. Amazon and eBay offer both new and used devices for sale. As a rule, these vendors sell the product with a similar warranty period, which is guaranteed by the manufacturer.
This model from Mr. Coffee is a good variant that features a reasonable price tag, has a durable construction and a sleek design, and comes with thermal carafe. The machine is ideal for people who are looking for a user-friendly device that requires little maintenance. It is not suited for coffee experts since the Optimal Brew offers no customization options. Overall, the machine has multiple positive reviews from owners who are pleased with the features it is packed with.