Brewing coffee in capsules is as simple and convenient as making tea using tea bags. A pod coffee machine is an ideal variant for coffee lovers who are always busy in the morning but don’t want to skip their daily coffee rituals. If you want to have a cup of quality coffee beverage with no fuss and in no time, think of Keurig.
This manufacturer is famous for its efficient single-serve coffee machines. The K425 was one of the first brewers that brought an opportunity to make a single cup and a carafe in one unit. To see what else this model can bring to the coffee game, read this Keurig K425 review.
Design and Main Parts of Keurig K425 Coffee Machine
It should be specified from the beginning that the K425 is a discontinued item, but it is still available for sale at various online stores that sell household appliances. The model is worth mentioning since its design and functionality are stunning. Look at the technical characteristics of the machine.
|Product Feature||Feature Parameters|
|Dimensions||15.5’’ x 16’’ x 12.5’’|
|Water tank size||70 oz./2 L|
|Cup capacity||K-cup, K-mug, K-carafe (4-30 oz.)|
Design and Appearance
Keurig always works hard to make its coffee machines look classy and modern at the same time. The K425 will be a great addition to your kitchen décor. It is available in 2 colors: vintage red and black, both with silver combinations. The machine is compact and can easily fit on any counter.
The housing is made of plastic, but it looks rather stylish. To the point, Keurig has a generous return policy, so customers can easily get a replacement.
The waste tray can be removed so that the 7.2’’ tall travel mugs can fit in there.
On the left side, there is a spacious water reservoir able to accommodate 70 oz. of water. It can be disconnected for filling up water from the tap. The tank features markers that warn users about the maximum and minimum liquid levels.
On the bottom of the container, there is a water filter location to nestle a water filter (it is optional). When the tank is empty, the light on the bottom blinks. After you add water, the light stays illuminated.
On the front, there is a touch-screen panel that features a 2.4’’ color display with the customizable user interface ready to follow your instructions. It reacts to the commands immediately after pressing the screen buttons.
This model features the revolutionary Keurig Brewing Technology specially designed to read the lids of coffee pods. The system understands the beverage in each capsule and makes the corresponding drink. The machine works with coffee capsules from more than 75 various brands. There are also settings to make specialty drinks like chai, mocha, and hot cocoa.
The menu of the coffee machine is programmable and allows making 11 brew sizes. It brews:
- 4-12 oz. drinks with K-cup pods (4, 6, 8, 10, 12 oz.);
- 12-16 oz. beverages with K-mug pods (12, 14, 16 oz.);
- 22-30 oz. drinks with K-carafe pods (22, 26, 30 oz.).
The device incorporates settings to customize the strength, cup size, and temperature of your drink. You can choose any of 5 temperature levels to tailor it to your preferences (low, low/medium, medium, medium/high, high). No one will find the programming process hard.
How to Use Keurig K425 2.0 Brewer System?
The working process of Keurig coffee makers is complicated, but it requires minimum participation from users. All you need to do is switch the device on, check the water level in the tank, insert a coffee capsule, customize your drink, and press the ON button.
The machine “reads” the cap lid, pierces the capsule, and hot water at a pressure flows into this hole, saturating the ground coffee, and dispenses the drink into the cup.
The customization of beverages is optional. It is designed for expert coffee drinkers who like to control various brewing parameters.
The K425 brews a single cup (or even a carafe) of your favorite drink in less than a minute. With a large water tank, you can make multiple beverages at one go before doing the boring task of refilling it again.
How to Clean This Coffee Maker?
Regular cleaning will help your coffee machine run all the time smoothly. In fact, pod coffee makers don’t create a lot of mess, so their maintenance is rather easy. Before the sanitation procedure, don’t forget to unplug the device.
- Slide the drip tray towards you. Keep it level to avoid spilling. Rinse it with warm water, removing a dark coffee film on the bottom with a sponge. This compartment is able to hold 8 oz. of overflow and should be emptied occasionally.
- Detach and rinse the water reservoir with warm water. Don’t dry the inside with a cloth because lint may remain. If you use a water filter, replace it regularly.
- Lift the handle and pull out the pod holder assembly and the base, pressing the release buttons on both sides. Clean these parts under running water and dry them. Insert the pod holder back into the housing. Place all the parts back into the brew head.
- Wipe the exterior with a non-abrasive, lint-free cloth if it has any stains.
This model doesn’t require maintenance on a daily basis, so the cleaning activity will not be a chore.
Talking about descaling, this procedure should be performed once in 3-6 months, depending on how often the machine is in operation.
Other Features You Need to Know
The K425 comes with some extra features that cannot be ignored. Users can:
- set automatic ON/OFF. You can program the machine to switch on and off automatically after it is idle for a certain time, or you can disable this option;
- program their favorite beverages by default;
- get a notification when it is time to change the filter;
- set the altitude that ensures the proper machine operation at high altitudes;
- customize the touch screen wallpaper color (plus a digital/analog clock);
- set the preferred language (Spanish, French, or English);
- brew their own ground coffee in a reusable filter (sold separately).
Advantages and Disadvantages
To sum up, here are the pros and cons of this model. These are the key points that customers like in the K425 and some they would like to improve.
- Compatible with water filters (not included) with a water filter reminder
- Auto on/off
- Temperature/strength/cup size control
- Detachable drip tray
- Intuitive operation
- Multiple brew sizes
- Hot water on demand
- Easy cleaning
- Energy-saving mode
- Compatible with a reusable coffee filter
- Large water tank
- The plastic housing may be scratched or broken occasionally
- Rather expensive
- Ships with no accessories
Here are some malfunctions listed below that can be solved on your own. Before contacting the customer support center, read these troubleshooting tips.
|The machine doesn’t brew.||
|There are grounds in the coffee.||The grounds gathered in the entrance or exit needles. Clean the exit needles of the pod holder and the brewer entrance needles.|
|The machine brews a partial cup.||
|Touch screen alerts||
If these tips don’t help, contact the Keurig service center.
Where to Buy Coffee Maker K425 by Keurig?
The K425 is no longer in production and not available on the official Keurig website, but it can be purchased from other internet vendors. It is found on Amazon, eBay, Walmart, Costco, Best Buy, and other online stores. Internet sales are always easy and quick; sometimes customers can find the best possible prices here. In addition, multiple reviews from buyers will help you determine if the model is the right choice for you.
As the K425 belongs to the 2.0 line of Keurig coffee makers, it has a construction similar to other models in this series. So, you can easily buy standard replacement parts from the manufacturer if needed.
This coffee maker is a good variant for both home and office use, for those who drink coffee occasionally and coffee addicts. The enormous water tank is a good feature for making multiple drinks for a group of people who prefer beverages of different strength/size/temperature. Since the model is user-friendly, it can be used by novices and senior customers. This little thing makes amazing coffee in seconds and requires little cleaning. Isn’t it a perfect choice?