If this is hard for you to get out of bed in the morning so that only a cup of refreshing coffee or cappuccino can charge you for a new working day, you need a coffee machine. The first beverage consumed during the day should be outstanding and boost all your energy resources.
The DeLonghi EC680M review describes a good model to start with. It can be a good option for customers who have limited space in the kitchen and a limited budget.
Design and Main Parts of DeLonghi Dedica EC680M
No doubt the EC680M is an awesome semi-automatic coffee maker (add the bonus that it is reasonably priced). However, before you invest money in this model, let’s determine its specifications.
|Product Feature||Feature Parameters|
|Dimensions (LxWxH)||13’’ x 5.9’’ x 12’’|
|Weight||9.3 lbs. (4.2 kg)|
|Water tank capacity||33.8 fl. oz. (1 L)|
|Material||Stainless steel, plastic|
|Warranty period||24 months|
There are 2 things that attract customers’ attention when they see the EC680M for the first time – its compact size and shining stainless steel design. Indeed, the model is very narrow and can be squeezed between other household appliances that you keep on the counter. In addition, it looks sturdy due to the metal exterior that guarantees the machine will work for years. A couple of elements performed in a black plastic give the appliance an elegant look.
All features are located on the front side of the machine and within easy reach except a water reservoir. It is back-loaded and makes it uncomfortable to check the level of water.
The tank is detachable and made of transparent plastic with a lid. Since the machine is not heavy, you can move it easily and fill the reservoir with water. It holds 33.8 fl. oz. of liquid.
The water tank can be used with a carbon filter, which is installed inside the reservoir. This function is optional and doesn’t impose using filters all the time, but it allows you to perform descaling procedures less often.
Pressure and heating system
The machine is equipped with the thermoblock boiler that heats up water in 30-40 seconds. This helps much if you are in a hurry in the morning. This technology prevents overheating, and the water is heated to the ideal temperature required to make a perfect shot of espresso.
The EC680M is a 15-bar pump espresso machine that delivers hot water to the portafilter and pushes it through coffee grounds to provide the maximum flavor extraction.
Milk frothing system
This coffee maker includes as many functions as a semi-automatic machine can have, and the milk frother cannot be ignored.
Actually, this is a steam wand that mixes milk and steam creating fantastic microfoam.
How to Use DeLonghi Dedica EC680M?
This model is easy to operate even for a novice. The appliance includes a step-by-step instruction manual with numerous colorful pictures. To obtain a cup of thick crema, just follow the rules.
- Fill the water reservoir with water.
- The machine comes with 3 filter baskets. Select one of them and clip it into the portafilter.
- Put ground coffee in the portafilter using a scoop that comes with the set. The other side of the scoop serves as a tamper, so use it to press down coffee in the portafilter. Lock the portafilter under the brewhead.
- On the front panel, there are 3 buttons. Regarding the number of cups you are brewing, press the extraction button that features an image of a single or double espresso. In accordance with the preset volume, the machine will stop extracting coffee automatically. If you select a double espresso, you can place 2 cups under the portafilter. As it features 2 holes, it will make 2 separate cups of the drink. The portafilter size allows making more than 1 drink at a time.
You will need the extra step of frothing milk if you like to have a milk-based beverage. Place a cup/jug with milk under the frothing wand and press a steam button. Insert the steaming nozzle into the milk and turn the knob on the right side of the device.
The device shifts to a standby mode automatically if it stays inactive.
How to Clean This Espresso Machine?
Unlike some other coffee makers that require time-consuming cleaning procedures, the maintenance of the EC680M is very easy.
Clean the portafilter after each use rinsing it under running water. Check that its holes are not blocked. If they are blocked, clean them with a pin.
The drip tray is removable and equipped with a water level indicator that turns red each time when the tray is full. Pull the tray out and wash it under a faucet. Use a soft sponge if there is a coffee film on the bottom.
Detach the water reservoir once a month and wash it with warm water and mild washing liquid. If you use a water filter, it should be replaced once in 2 months under normal use of the coffee maker.
Wipe the exterior of the machine with a wet cloth if there are any stains.
For hygiene reasons, wash the frothing wand after each use. The nozzle and other silicone parts are easily detachable and can be cleaned in warm water.
Advice for Descale Dedica EC680M Coffee Machine
With this model, you don’t need to keep in mind the date of the previous descaling operation. The device will warn you automatically by the orange illumination of the steam icon. If you use soft water, the descaling is carried out less frequently.
To perform this operation, empty the water tank and remove the filter. Fill the reservoir with a descaling solution. Press the “ON” button and position the recipient under the frothing spout. The limescale deposits are removed automatically during a series of rinses and pauses until the water reservoir is empty. Run pure water through the system to remove the descaling liquid.
Other Features You Need to Know
This DeLonghi model integrates a number of useful features. Here are some functions that haven’t been mentioned above.
- There is a passive cup warmer on top of the device dedicated for 2 cups.
- The frothing wand can be adjusted to give hot water for making tea and other drinks.
- You can load both ground coffee and easy serving espresso pods (ESE) choosing single or double filter baskets.
- The unit is very customizable. It allows setting the preferred temperature of your beverage (low, medium or high) and adjusting the auto-off time (9 minutes/30 minutes/3 hours).
This little gadget easily adapts to your preferences and can impress your guests with quick and quality beverages.
Advantages and Disadvantages
The following list sums up all the strong and weak points of the appliance.
- Heats up water very fast
- Extremely simple to operate
- Ultra compact and lightweight
- Uses ground coffee and capsules
- A sleek design
- A solid metal construction
- Available in assorted colors (red and black)
- Can be used with a water filter (optional)
- An affordable price tag
- An automatic flow stop
- Comes with a scoop and tamper combination tool
- Quiet operation
- The removable catch tray allows accommodating taller cups
- The water tank is difficult to access
- Some devices come defective and may leak
- The portafilter is made of thin materials and looks cheap
- The spoon shape is not comfortable
The company replaces the defective models free of charge within the period covered by the warranty.
Some minor malfunctions can be solved on your own without addressing customer service. See the list of solutions offered below.
|No coffee is delivered.||
|The coffee is not delivered through the holes of the portafilter but drips from the edges.||
|The portafilter cannot be attached to the brewhead.||There is too much ground coffee in the filter basket. Use a measuring spoon and insert the correct filter basket out of the 3 available.|
|The coffee crema is too light and delivered too fast.||
|The coffee crema is too dark and delivered too slowly.||
|The machine doesn’t work, and all the lights illuminate.||The appliance has reached a high temperature. Let it cool down.|
Contact the DeLonghi customer support center if you have other problems that are not included in the list.
Where to Buy Dedica EC680M by DeLonghi?
The Dedica is available for sale from the official website of DeLonghi. Various online retailers like eBay, Amazon, Walmart, and Target offer multiple models of coffee machines from this manufacturer, including the EC680M. Thousands of reviews from customers who have already tested this device will help you make the right choice.
This DeLonghi model is very practical and a perfect variant for daily needs. It requires human labor to operate, but this is justified by an affordable cost of the device. This is an excellent choice for novices.
The machine suits any small countertop and features a sleek design to match any kitchen décor. It saves your time in the morning due to the fast brewing. At last, it makes decent coffee beverages and is worth every cent spent.
- Dedica Manual Espresso Machine – Stainless Steel, EC680M – https://www.delonghi.com/
- DeLonghi EC680M Instruction Manual – https://www.delonghi.com/
- Delonghi EC680 Get Started – https://www.delonghi.com/